Data analysis has become one of the most popular skills in this technological era. The amount of data that an average user generates on a daily basis is of huge potential for businesses. Managing and making sense out of this data is the work of a data scientist, who with the help of computer algorithms makes sure that this data is used in the most optimal way to generate huge profits for the company.
According to worldwide estimates there are close to 90,000 Data Science and analytics jobs available. Emerging markets like India alone account for about 6% of these jobs available. For someone aspiring to work in the field of data science in this Blog we will list certain prerequisites to start a career in Data Sciences.
The five basic prerequisites that you should be comfortable with while starting your career in data science are:
- Statistics: It is an enormous subject which is widely applicable in the field of data science. A student aspiring to be a data scientist should have no difficulty in performing various statistical tasks in order to make sense out of raw data.
- Algorithm: All the computer programs used in data science are based on high level algorithms. It is highly necessary for an aspiring data scientist to understand how these algorithms are designed using very high level logic.
- Computer Programming: A very basic level of understanding of computer programming is required to efficiently work in data science field. It has become more important as there is a huge amount of input data and it is impossible to sort it without the help of a computer program.
- Data: Data science is all about data hence there is no doubt that it should be one of the most important factor which a data scientist should be comfortable working with. Working with rows and columns of data should not be a problem for a data scientist. Also working with some unstructured data should not make a data scientist uncomfortable.
- Business Domain: The business Domain that will use the data is also of key importance here. Understanding and knowledge of core business domain will help a data scientist effectively optimize the available data for use.
A master’s degree or a Post graduate course in data science is always a plus point when starting a data science career. If one is comfortable dealing with the subjects mentioned above a career in data science will be perfect. In case one or two of these subjects makes you uncomfortable it makes all the sense to make yourself comfortable with them with a course or gaining practical experience.